Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Gimme the red

Yea, I gave in. Problem with telling your meat loving guy friends you're not a vegetarian anymore?
Red pressure.
"C'mon, chicken's not meat! When are you gunna try steak?" and so forth.
I'm not huge on red meat because of the fat (especially saturated), cholesterol, calories, etc... but I am a huge fan of a healthy dose of iron and protein...
So tonight I gave it a whirl.

And actually liked it.

I am still NOT going to be a big meat eater and this is not going to be a staple of my diet. But it sure was fun to try!

Eric, ready to eat the tips right outta the box...


My first ever bite of steak:



For dinner we rubbed and pan seared the steak in bit of margarine before broiling them until medium in the oven.
I also made my favorite italian side- patate pepperoni (sauteed potatoes and peppers in olive oil!)

I only ate 3/4 of the meat and had another small scoop of potatoes instead. It was good, but a lot for my first time!

So that was my foodie adventure of the night. Off to do some more Anatomy studying before hitting the hay!

2 comments:

Sarah Ikegami said...

Wow, cool!
Have you been a veg your whole life? Or did you just not eat red meat till tonight?

Kristin said...

Sikegami,
I was a vegetarian for 3 years, but my family never really ate red meat... I did eat some lamb growing up because my family is Syrian and they're bit on the lamb, but other than that I hadn't had meat like steak until tonight!