Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Friday, January 2, 2009

Sloppy success

Evening everyone!
This afternoon was a success; I got a good amount done around the house before making myself a delicious lunch- a veggie&swiss egg white omelet using 1/2 cup egg whites, some fresh chopped chives, a light laughing cow cheese, and some wilted spinach and grape tomatoes. On the side I had 2 morningstar vegetarian sausage patties and an apple.

A while later I headed out to pick up my mom; where we ran a couple birthday-related errands (I can't believe my baby sis is turning 15!!). While out I snacked on a kashi bar. This one was very good!

When I dropped my mom off at home I grabbed a dried fig to hold me for the ride!


I was pretty hungry when I got back, so I set out to make a messy favorite- sloppy joes. I made a healthier version by using extra lean turkey breast. I sauteed some onions and mushrooms in broth, added 1/2 lb ground extra lean turkey and let cook, then added 3/4 cup tomato sauce, 1/3 cup 365 Tangy BBQ sauce (my fave!), a bit of water, some chili powder, cayenne and black pepper for spice. I let it all simmer while I micro steamed some mixed veggies and toasted a whole wheat sandwich thin. I topped the 'bun' with the sloppy mixture and ate it open faced!

Messy, indeed- I'm sure if anyone saw me eating this they would be completely disgusted, but I happily ate my delicious concoction, sauce dripping down my chin, smiling all the while because no one could see my gross mess! =) Even with the added spice, I still gobbled this one up, it was sooo good! I made enough for two servings, so I saved the other serving for another night soon! I can't wait!

I'm off to do some pre-birthday prep, and tonight I'm having a movie night with a few friends at my friend Eric's house- I'll be back posting in the a.m.!

1 comment:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I literally eat dried figs everyday - I love them!! And I think you might like the recipe I just posted on my blog, containing figs :-)