Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Monday, March 16, 2009

Shipping up to Boston

Good morning!
Yes it is 7:30 a.m. and I am AWAKE the lovely day after the Dropkick's concert!
My hearing is substantially impaired and my legs are sore as all getout, but what a day/night!!

Mid-morning I had a cup of orange juice while Nick helped me move some stuff, and then we said our goodbyes =( But it's only a week, he's left me longer I think I can survive! ;)

After packing more at home, I headed over to my parents house to make my dad and I lunch. I made my quick recipe for turkey sloppy joes for 2- (1 lb lean ground turkey, 1/4 c onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1/3 cup bbq sauce, 3/4 cup tomato sauce, s&p, h20, all simmered to sloppy perfection) and served them over sandwich thins with sliced carrots and sundried tomato hummus for dipping.

I still felt hungry and knew I needed a big meal to hold me over so I also had a nectarine.

We made great timing getting to Boston, making it up in less than two hours. We walked around for a while, I spotted a Trader Joe's and knew I had to stop in! I found this in the bar section- it looked yummy, and was only 48 cents so I tried it!

Yum!

Just a short while later we headed into McGreevy's for an early dinner. What a cool place! It's filled from top to bottom with historical baseball memorabilia, and is complete with a huge painted "Dropkick Murphys" banner on the wall! We watched my favorite hockey team, The Bruins play during dinner! My Uncle and Dad are big hockey fans so that was a plus!

Dad and I split a guinness to start- I'm an Irish girl, I love my dark beers!


No, my shirt does not say "Kiss me I'm sh***faced..." oh wait, yes it does... it's a Dropkick's shirt!

The four of us split two appetizers- we were going the Irish route of course, so we chose corned beef & potato croquettes (I had 1/2 of one)

and Guinness bbq chicken tenders!

I had 1.5!

For my entree, I knew I wanted Fish n' chips- it's such a pub thing for me! But when I saw the HUGE portion, I settled on the ale-battered fish sandwich with sweet potato fries. Same thing, only smaller!

I polished off my sammie with some tartar sauce, and made a small dent in the sweet potato fries- my dad, the bottomless pit, finished off the rest of mine!

The concert was amazing, needless to say! They played all their greatest songs, and they had awesome guests- like Irish step dancers! Didn't get any pics at the show, because cameras were banned and I had to sneak mine in from dinner as it was!

All in all, it was a great night in Boston with Dad, Uncle Tom and Tara.
Buuttt we got home just after 1 and I am exhausted.
I'm planning on going to the gym in a bit, but I think I might have to take it easy... again because I'm still sick and tired!! I guess I just need to keep listening to my body until I'm healthy again.

For breakfast this morning I made a delicious naturally sweet bowl of oats.
1/2 cup 7-grain blend, 1 cup nonfat soy milk, 1 sliced banana, 5 small sliced strawberries (the perfect touch!) and a big spoonful of almond butter!

Should keep me fueled throughout the morning! I'm spending the day in Newport with my mom- hopefully looking for a job!
I'll be back later on tonight!

4 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

SWEET POTATO FRIES!!!!!!

Ahh hope you feel 100% better soon!!


PLEEEEASE check the post office today if you have time - those blondies should have been there already.

Not Another Omnivore said...

Looked like you had a fabulous time!

NAOmni

Anonymous said...

Oh cool, your dinner and concert looks like it was a lotta fun!! :-D
Booo for being still sick :( My bf is now too..hope I don't catch it :-\

Newport is so beautiful, I hope you find the job you're looking for!

Can't wait for the meet-up in a next week!! :)

Nutritious is Delicious said...

Those sweet potato fries look awesome! Looks like fun!