Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Gluttonous

Sooo tonight I was bad.
Real bad.
But everyone needs their splurge days, right?
Tonight was a special occasion, my mom's birthday, so I decided to let myself indulge a little.
Ok, a LOT.
But at least I didn't go as overboard as I could have... and made sure to have a nutritious breakfast and lunch to attempt balance everything out.

After my Kinesiology class (which was AWESOME today; we're learning about stress and did some relaxation techniques at the end of class... nice!) I headed into town, where I stopped at my favorite Middle Eastern deli in SK, Pick Pockets, for some vegetarian chili! I LOVE their vegetarian chili; a small is a GREAT side and a medium fills me up as a full meal; maybe theres a lot of fat in it from oils, but I know they use a lot of olive oil (aka healthy fats) and everything else in it is good; it's all tomatoes, tomato based broth, with carrots, peppers, celery and lots of beans! I had a small (about a cup) along with a GIANT garden salad; which I drizzled with some balsamic vinegar (just a tad- maybe a Tbsp?) and only ended up finishing half of- I figure I'll eat the rest with dinner tomorrow!





I'm not sure the calorie count of this lunch; it was a lot of veggies, but there were definately oils involved so I'm going to guess around 450 kcal. (50 for salad, 100 for dressing, 300 for soup... just ballpark)

After my lunch, I was nice and full so I went to Belmont's (a nice little market in my town with GREAT produce and a nice organic section) to grab a pretty bouquet of flowers for my mom, and noticed they had Fage 0% tubs! Yay! It's almost $1 more here than other stores, unfortunately, but I haven't been able to get it recently... so I was excited for my find, so I splurged! Plus, getting the big tub is cheaper than buying the individuals!
So I grabbed one of those, my flowers and my sister, and we went and surprised my mom at the end of her work day!
She was very surprised, so I hope we made her day!

We stopped at Starbucks beforehand to grab my mom a latte; I had a tall skinny caramel latte (90 kcal) for a snack.
When we got home the splurging began!
I had a small brownie my mom baked for the kids at school today:



(About 100 kcal treat)

and then we went to dinner at The Mews!
We started by sharing a delicious, but very rich appetizer... stuffed mushrooms, my favorite!
I had one, it was STUFFED with crabmeat stuffing, and covered in yummy melty cheese. Mmm...





My dinner wasn't the best choice I could have made... but I LOVE the calzones from here, so I had to go for my favorite!
I ordered the "Bandit" calzone, and pretty much finished all of it aside from the crust (Ali nibbled on it). They make the calzones out of their homemade pizza dough and bake it in the brick oven, so it's a tiny bit healthier than your run of the mill variety, and it has a much thinner, crispier, tastier crust than any other I've tried! The bandit is FILLED with my favorites; broccoli, artichokes, cheese and gardenburger crumbles!! Yum! I dipped the whole big calzone in their amazing homemade marinara sauce, sooo delicious!
The good thing was I felt full after, but not like I overstuffed myself.



This dinner was a LOT of calories; a lot of full fat cheese, so a lot of saturated fat... a splurge for sure.

The overstuffing came after!
I bought my mom a special dessert; one of her favorites: cheesecake!
Only the best for Mom, of course, so I got her the best in the state- Gregg's cheesecake!
We got the "pinwheel" variety so she had a choice; it's amazingly creamy, totally sinful cheesecake coverered in sections of blueberry, pineapple and cherry. I love cherry the best; but I ALWAYS have cherry. SO this time I tried something new! I went for a piece of 1/2 blueberry, 1/2 pineapple. It wasn't a small slice at all, but it was good, let me tell you, and worth every bite!

The cake:



My piece:



Now I'm full for now, and ready to finish my Organic Chem notes before my long day tomorrow!

No comments: