Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Monday, March 17, 2008

Shamrock-colored treat

For tonight's "Irish" treat, we made fat-free pistachio pudding, which worked great with the irish theme! Pictured is 1/2 of the 1 cup I ate... its sooo good! I can't believe I'm having seconds TWICE in one day! And this is my second treat of the day! I guess this is the way to gain weight, happily that is ;)
On the side I also had some "soda bread crisps"... they're like sweet irish bagel chips, with the classic "soda bread" taste, with a hint of sweetness and yummy raisins! They go great dipped in the pudding =)


(I ate a few more crisps than pictured...)

Tonight I also embarked on another cooking adventure. I wanted to make my sister a filling, healthy lunch she could eat quick at school (they only have 25 minutes- which I understand from working is a short amount of time to get a good meal in!) so I decided to make her a Whole Wheat Pasta Salad to take on the go. Full of healthy whole grains, veggies, healthy fats from the good oils and a whole lrot of flavor (plus her fave, feta cheese!) I'm sure it will keep her satisfied for a hard working day at school =) It was sooo quick and easy, I made enough for 4-6 portions, so I can dry some myself this week as well! (I did try a few pieces of the pasta while making it, to test flavors!) I can't wait to see how she likes it!

Here's what I threw together:
4 cups (dry) 365 organic whole wheat fusilli
boiled, drained and rinsed
Combined with:
1/2 large cucumber, diced
1/4 red onion
20 mini tomatoes, halved
1 large stalk celery, sliced
1/2 cup crumbled feta
and tossed with my "special dressing":
2 tbsp EVOO
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
italian spice blend
black pepper
fresh lemon juice (1/2 a lemon)
and my special ingrediant... 2 tsp agave nectar for sweetness!
YUM...
If I were making it for myself, I'd probably add some olives, bell pepper, sundried tomatoes or artichokes as well, to make it even more meditteranean... but I went with stuff I knew she liked, so I hope she approves!

Ok, enough cooking for the night... more tomorrow!

Now, a bit of a side note... I know I AM trying to increase my calorie intake, to gain healthy weight, but I know I've been going slightly off the healthy track lately, so my "excuse" is... I'm on vacation, so I'm going to do my best to make reasonably healthy choices (for the most part), but I am also focusing on relaxation and enjoyment of my time off from school. I might not be the picture of perfect health these next few days (and especially on easter!) but focus more on my balance, moderation, food groups and portion control more than ACTUAL food choices and you'll see I'm still making an effort! I fully plan on getting back on track, nutrition wise, as soon as I get back to school. Thats my note of the day!

2 comments:

ChickPea said...

Kristin--you're doing a GREAT job in trying to gain weight. I have been there too; it's not an easy task to go against intuition and eat MORE to be healthy. Your meals are still extremely healthy. I mean, your treat is fat-free pudding! (I LOVE pistachio pudding, by the way--it's my favorite flavor!) I applaud you on your reasonable approach to this weight gain. I, too, am trying to gain a few LBs right now, so I can totally relate. Keep up the good work!

Kristin said...

Thanks for the support, chickpea- I really do appreciate it!