Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Thursday, May 15, 2008

"Meat" n' Mash

When I was little, one of the quick meals my Mom would put together for us was turkey meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I've never really liked potatoes, and I wasn't a big fan of meat either (one of my initial reasons for going veg) so this definately wasn't one of my favorite meals. However, tonight I replicated this meal in a healthier, vegan way- making the Soybean Dinner Loaf out of the Eat Clean Cookbook (I used egg replacer instead of egg whites) and on the side, mashed some red bliss and purple potatoes together with a bit of soy milk and garlic to make my own garlicky "tie dye" potatoes. I also roasted some brussels sprouts my favorite way- with some EVOO, s&p. It came out great! Much much better than the original!
The loaf took a while to make, so we had the sides while we were waiting for the loaf to finish:

(I put a bit of earth balance margarine on the 'tatoes)
The loaf came out looking pretty funky, and it was a bit hard to cut but all in all it was delicious, and incredibly filling!


Of course, I had to have some dessert! Tonight I finished off the last 2 of the vegan choc chip cookies I tested for Happy Herbivore, with a kiwi sliced into tiny chunks so I could nibble on them for a while! Nice and sweet =)

Tomorrow might be a little boring again, just moving stuff around, and then work. But I think I have plans Saturday night so my week should end well!

3 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

It's always fun "veganizing" favorite family meals :0)

Lindsay's fabulous cookies + kiwi slices = sweet, satisfying way to end the evening.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

That loaf looks terrific... makes me wish I had the cookbook :o/

What's in the loaf?

Kristin said...

It is a crazy mix of TVP, black beans, brown rice, oat bran, some spices, onion, tomato sauce, jalapeno... lots of ingredients but it all came together very nicely!