Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Andiamo al mare!

I spent the most beautiful day at the beach today. It was absolutely gorgeous out, warm with a cool breeze, I spent the day reading, relaxing and enjoying the beauty of the Ionian sea for the last time in Italia...

Yesterday my weekend started early when we got let out of class early, so I went out to lunch at Dante's with my friend Danielle, where we got out favorite Insalata Dante, and had some bread with spicy olive oil as well.

We did some work, spent some time at Fusion talking to one of the waiters for our interview assignment... in a little bit I'll be interviewing Rosa, the chef at Fusion! I'm nervous because she's such a fantastic chef, but excited at the same time to hear what she has to say!

Afterwards we had to stop for our afternoon gelato, and then we were off to the mall for the evening.
I picked up some nice things, a new dress, some dark italian chocolate for presents, some gourmet espresso and a mini espresso maker!
I grabbed a cottage cheese and an apple from the supermercato to have as a snack to hold me over during the art show.

The art show was nice but I was super hungry by the time we got to the pizza place for dinner! The pizza was absolutely fantastic- I ate a LOT, but the pieces were super thin and totally worth it! I had one margherita, two eggplant/zucchini/pepper/mushroom, and one olive/caper piece. We also had a couple glasses of Peroni, because nothing goes better with Italian pizza than Italian beer!

We stayed out late at fusion, so I was tired and not very hungry, but I had some new whole grain cereal I bought with some soy milk and a small white plum for breakfast.

When we got to the beach a few hours later I had an herbed pretzel, which held me over until Danielle and I stopped by a little beach side restaurant for delicious fresh lunches! We had pesto pasta with fresh shrimp, and it really was the best beachside lunch! The pesto was fresh made, the pasta was perfectly cooked and the shrimp was right from the mare.

We also had some afternoon snacks- we stopped for frozen mochas, and had HUGE chunks of watermelon- nothing's better on the beach than a big piece of cocomelo! (So of course I had a couple of pieces...)

After a lovely day, we returned home, showered, and I'm having a few almonds to hold me until dinner and a pool party we have to go to later!

I truly cannot believe this is my last weekend in Calabria. The experience has been truly lifechanging, I'm savoring every last minute, every last bite here in beautiful San Demetrio Corone =)

2 comments:

Simple and Divine said...

You are SUCH an incredible writer, girl! You really should just travel all over the world and write about the incredible eats you consume! I don't know of any book like that and I'm sure yours would be better than any out there as of yet!

I'm so sad that this is your last weekend in Calabria, as well! So so very sad, but so incredible that this experience touched you so! I want to go, so badly! lol

Enjoy your time, and thanks SO much again, for including us in this! It's been such a treat :)

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

So happy that you've enjoyed your time here so much. Now the question becomes...when will you be back? ;)