Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Powwow fun and frittata heaven

I had such a fun day with my friend Eric! He's part Native American, so he brought me to a Powwow today to check it out. The town I live in is actually called Narragansett, after the Indian tribe. One of our town landmarks is an Indian head, so it was cool to go and see the traditional dress, food, dances, and crafts.

Before we left, I went for a run with my sister- we only got in 20 minutes because she's still pretty out of shape, but I was glad we went. I did some arm exercises and had a bowlful of grapes to hold me until lunch.

We had a very un-American lunch, one of my favorites- El Fuego, for burritos! I had the veggie burrito which has mexican rice, black beans, grilled veggies and cheddar cheese. I ate the whole burrito with a couple dips of sour cream and salsa. I didn't touch the tortilla chips I was so full from the huge burrito!

We spent a couple hours at the Powwow, watching some of the dance competitions, and looking at some crafts. I ended up buying some hand-woven earrings which I love! As we were walking around, we tried some Strawberry Moon Tea, which was incredibly yummy! There were whole pieces of strawberries in it! I drank all my tea and strawberries, plus Eric's strawberries he didn't want! (He said they were soggy, I thought they were tasty!)

We also tried some Indian pudding- it looks gross, but its a delicious mix of cornmeal and molasses, topped with a dollop of light whipped cream. I ate about 1/2 of the small cup.

For dinner when I came home, I made my mom and I a HUGE Rosemary Artichoke Frittata- I got the recipe out of a low-cholesterol cookbook my Grandpa gave me to look at. The recipe says it's for 4 people, but it only uses 4 egg whites, so we halved it for two. It has mushrooms, egg whites, artichokes, green onions, spices, tomatoes and reduced fat mozarella. On the side we also had some vegetarian sausages, which seemed to go with the egg dish. It was easy to make, and SO tasty- I'll definately be making this one again!


I'm going to visit a friend at work later on tonight, and besides that I'll just be relaxing here at home. Anyone have fun Saturday night plans?

1 comment:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

What a great day of eats!!

After having an intense dance practice all day, my plans for tonight are to REST :0)