Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The right to bare arms

"Wow, your arms feel harder than they used to.."
I know!!
It's because when I work my arms, I work my arms.
I usually spend between 25 and 35 minutes on my precious guns, because I LOVE the definition and feel of strong arms.
Here's my typical workout:

I started with a lower weight, doing 10 reps and then 12 reps until I felt the need to move up in weight, at which point I did 8 reps of the higher weight, until I felt they were easy- and now I'm at 10 reps.
It's important to increase weight to increase muscle, but not too quick- you don't want to overwork your muscles!
If you want less "muscular" arms and more "toned" arms, do more reps of a lower weight.

I start my workout doing Jenna's awesome Tricep workout.
3 sets of 10, each exercise.

Next, I move on to some more arm exercises- 3 sets of 10 reps
Reverse pulses- holding the weights in your hands with your palms facing away from you, pulse weight behind you, slowly
Bicep curls (we all know these!)
Monkey curls- holding the weights by your sides with your palms facing towards you, lift until elbows are at a 90 degree angle with shoulders, slowly curl down
Over-head push and turn- Holding weights at a 90 degree angle with your shoulders above your head with your palms facing out, push arms up to meet, pull back down, and turn palms inward to face you, move weights towards you and back out to starting position

Afterwards, I do 3 sets of 10 reps of shrugs with a higher weight (your deltoids are much stronger than your biceps/triceps!)
3 sets/10 seated bench press using free weights
2 sets/10 reps assisted pull up/dip machine
2 sets/10 reps lat pulldown at 60 lbs (working my way up!)

So there you have it- my super arm workout, it IS a lot, but it works for me, and I LOVE the burn I feel and the results I get!
Any questions, feel free to ask!