Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Never a break

I can not believe it's already 3pm and I haven't blogged yet! This day off has flown by, it feels as though I never have a break, even when I have the day off!
Last night I must admit I did my fair share of indulging... two slivers of cake (chocolate and strawberry ice cream) and a few pieces of leftover halloween candy (blushes)... I know it was a bit much, but I was soooo craving something sweet! Must be hormones, but I could NOT lay off the chocolate!

Luckily I was ready to eat healthy again this morning. I started off my busy day with a Choco-banana-berry smoothie made with 1 cup soymilk, 1 cup frozen berries, a big banana and a scoop of choc Jay Robb protein powder.
It filled 1 big cup and a little leftover halloween cup!


I spent the morning working on my egg project, before a bit of baking- I made Happy Herbivore's apple crisp muffins again, which are always a hit- I brought a few to my Aunt at work! The first part of my lunch consisted of some leftover apple slices...

and I licked these bowls clean!

Mmmm, mmm- I can never stop myself!
My real lunch consisted of a whole wheat tortilla I topped with 1/2 cup refried black beans and a bunch of sriracha hot sauce , warmed and wrapped up, with some cottage cheese and carrots on the side.

I headed to the gym for some cardio, where I did 30 minutes of running intervals on the treadmill. After my quick workout I headed to Rite Aid- not my store, but the one where my Aunt works as a pharmacist so she could give me my flu shot. Working at a pharmacy, it's important I keep myself as healthy as possible! I chatted with her for a while, did a bit of shopping, came home and chatted on the phone with my dad (super secret Christmas plans! hehe) for a while before heading home.
I snacked on 3/4 cup 0% chobani with my favorite topping, pom seeds!

I only have a bit of time to relax because I still have a bunch of egg work to do... but as promised here's my recipe...
(combined & adapted from VWAV and a Cooking Light recipe)

Vegan Maple Walnut Pumpkin Muffins
1 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup canned pumpkin (pure, not pie filling!)
1/2 cup soy milk (i used West Soy nonfat)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (i used organic canola)
1/4 cup apple sauce
2 tablespoons maple syrup
handful of chopped walnuts or pecans (i used walnuts; optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. While oven is heating, sift all dry ingredients together in a big bowl
3. Whisk wet ingredients until completely combined
4. Pour wet into dry, stir and fold in nuts (optional)
5. Pour into greased 12-cup muffin pan, each muffin 2/3 full
6. Bake 18-20 minutes until a knife/toothpick comes out clean.

Enjoy!

(Oh, and the batter for this is fab as well. Be careful... you'll end up eating an entire muffin before they're cooked!)

3 comments:

jess said...

I thought you may have had a grill pan (one of my fave kitchen items!), which is why I got confused with the 'pan seared' comment, but it all makes sense now ;)

Gotta love those hormones making you crave chocolate- grrr. How do you find that smoothies hold you over? I think I may be more of a volume eater. Secret christmas plans sounds Fun! I'll actually be in Europe for the holiday- SO excited.

That muffin batter looks dangerous- in the best possible way

Best of luck with the eggggstravaganza!

Kristin said...

Jess,
I am SUCH a volume eater, and smoothies ALWAYS hold me over 3+ hours (well, 95% of the time- i do have my days!)... my secret? Protein, protein and more protein! I NEED my jay robb chocolate protein powder not only for it's fab taste, but for it's satiety powders from all the super whey protein!
Nutrition fact: Whey protein has been recently discovered as being MORE bioavailable than egg whites. So it's the best sort of protein for you!
I also add soy milk, which adds more protein and a bit of fat, and 2 servings of fruit. Makes a HUGE batch- which I always drink up! Seriously, invest in some Whey (it can be pricey but sooo worth it)!!

And Europe? I'm so jealous! Bring me back a present ;)!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Love the Halloween cup and OH MY GOODNESS THOSE MUFFINS!!! Fantastic, Kristin.