Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Monday, January 12, 2009

The Science of Life

After reading an interesting article in Yoga Journal, reading about Jenna's experience, and delving into one of my favorite cookbooks, Yogi in the Kitchen, I have become increasingly more interested in the Ayurvedic diet.

Ayurveda is 5,000 years old and it is the OLDEST health care system in the world. (Kripalu)

The Ayurvedic diet consists of three doshas- Vata, Pitta and Kapha. The Ayurvedic diet focuses on foods that increase or decrease your dosha, helping or hindering your digestion, emotions and energy levels. This quiz is a good determinant of your dosha. I have come to learn I am distinctly Vata-Pitta, therefore I should focus on Vata foods in the Fall/Winter when it is cooler/windier, and Pitta foods in the warmer months.

The more I read, the more I understand and am convinced of the Ayurvedic philosophy. As much as I hate to admit it in some sense, it is so true. For instance, I LOVE apples and pears... but they always digest a bit funny. Milk? I can never drink it cold. But warm? A-ok.

This afternoon I noticed on one website that spirulina was good for vatas. I remembered I had Spirutein shake mix in my cupboard- so I mixed it with 1 cup nonfat milk. Good idea? Not really. I used cold milk- big no-no for my dosha. And I felt it (amazing, right?)! Not in a good way; my stomach felt funny and I could feel myself digesting.
But it's just one of many things that make me realize more and more how accurate the Ayurvedic diet can be.

I'm thinking of doing an ongoing experiment, by trying to increase foods that decrease my vata and incorporate more vata-friendly foods in my diet. Since I have this week's meals pretty much planned out, I'm going to try my hardest to eat dosha friendly next week, the few days before I go back to school, and see how it turns out.

For more information, check out these sites:
Kripalu resources
Let's all be healthy-Doshas
Ayur Balance
Holistic Online- Ayurveda

1 comment:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Fabulous experiment!! I've been interested in Ayurveda for wuite some time now, and try to follow it as closely as possible/as is practical for me. I'm a vata :-)