Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Friday, April 17, 2009

Employed

So as I was sitting in front of the tube watching Shark Week with Danielle and Nick, downing a bowl of neopolitan ice cream topped with crumbled cookies and a drizzle of hershey’s syrup, after just munching on an array of Easter candy with Danielle, I decided maybe I took the ‘celebratory treat’ a little too far.

At least I did have something to celebrate!
Let’s backtrack. After my quick afternoon blog, I changed into my new sleek black slacks and headed down to my car, and over the bridge to Newport for my first job interview (yes, I am 19 years old and I have never been to an actual job interview). It was a beautiful day, so the ride was gorgeous, I really am so in love with Newport!

The interview went well, and although it is only a part time position, and I am working as Banquet staff (no kitchen this time), it’s a JOB!! So over the summer I will be working at a Yacht club on and off, hopefully pulling in some big bucks so I can shop at Natural Foods, which I discovered not 5 minutes away from my future apartment!!

So on top of just getting a job, I discovered heaven-in-a-store right afterwards. I swear I almost peed my pants when I walked inside. The prices are NOT bad, it’s small, but bigger than the two natural stores in my town, and they serve amazing prepared sandwiches, salads and coffee (perfect on the way to work!!)

I bought myself a coconut water to celebrate my employment-

(and a new bar I’ll be trying today!) I had to restrain myself from buying the whole store, really. I loved it!

I snacked on the other half of my clif bar on the way home, stopped by the parents’ to get some forms for my employment packet, and back to Nick’s house where I did some studying and hung out with Danielle before making dinner.

For dinner I made one of my alltime favorite comfort foods- meatball subs. I used ½ lb lean beef, ½ cup Italian style breadcrumbs, ¼ cup grated parmesan, 1 egg, salt, pepper, oregano and a clove of garlic to make the meatballs. I cooked them in some evoo, added about 1 cup tomato & basil pasta sauce, and plopped them in freshly made sub rolls from the bakery at S&S, with a little bit of reduced fat Italian cheese on top. AMAZING.
Of course I needed some veggie action, so I steamed some broccoli and cauliflower florets to have on the side.

As much as I enjoy all of the extravagant dishes I make time to time, nothing beats a good meatball sub

As I mentioned, I had some Easter candy (m&ms, whopper eggs), chilled out with the best friend and the boyfriend (we like educational TV, we’re kind of nerds), and had a relaxing night. Nick wanted to go to a party at his friend’s house, and I was reluctant about going at first because I was super tired, but we went and I ended up having a fun time, and I saw an old friend, so it was a good night.
This morning it was HARD to get up, because we were out until almost 1:30. I had intended to make myself a breakfast cookie last night, but at 1 in the morning I sort of forgot (I think the only thing going through my head was “Bed. Bed. Bed.”). So I made myself a big bowl of protein packed oats instead.

½ cup oats, cooked in ½ cup nonfat soymilk, ½ cup water, ½ scoop chocolate protein powder, a sliced banana and a spoonful of almond butter.
Mmm, always hits the spot.

My lunchbox was very empty today-

Some grapes, to have with lunch, a cheese stick I ate mid morning and a Raw Foods bar I’m really excited to try for a snack later.

Nope, not on some crazy crash diet- my lunch was courtesy of Subway today!
I ordered a footlong, so I could have ½ today, ½ tomorrow for lunch. And $6 for 2 meals is quite the deal! I had a ham and turkey with provolone on honey oat, with ALL the veggies (extra banana peppers) and fat free honey mustard. Mmm!


Today I ate my lunch with a bunch of 2-and-3 year olds, at my mom’s preschool! I observed for a project I’m doing for my writing class, I’ll fill you in soon- it was very interesting to say the least!
I also had a little treat my mom gave me- ½ a fresh baked cookie from the ‘teacher’s room’!

Dinner tonight is Mexican, can you guess what I’ll be having??

P.S. Anyone else JUST realize Panera has free WiFi? I discovered this a couple weeks ago. I've been camping out in their funky chairs a couple times a week when I don't feel like going to the parents' to blog!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea!!! Congrats on the job :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

CONGRATULATIONS, GIRL!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job Kristin!! It sounds awesome! :)

That ice cream sundae looks divine, and so do those meatball subs!! I think you just inspired a meal for me next week!!

Subway rocks!! I used to work there in high school!

Have a great weekend!!

Michelle

Erica said...

Congratulations! ^__^ Although I'm sad this means you'll be leaving those of us in RA land. . .

Kristin said...

Erica,
No, I'll probably still be at Rite Aid a couple times a week. At least until September!