Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Thursday, April 9, 2009

The end is near!

Hey guys!
Can you believe it’s already Thursday?

I know I can’t, this week seems to have flown by!
It’s a good thing, for a couple reasons
1) because I have an exam in Physio (I’m writing the first half of this over breakfast, and I haven’t taken it yet!! So nervous!) and I am MORE than glad to get it over with,
and
2) Easter is on Sunday!
I still have my whole Thursday/Friday school days and Saturday work day to get through, but it’s something to look forward to =)
I’m not a very religious person at all, but my family has always made Easter a pretty big celebration (well, it is a pretty big event in the Christian religion!). This year, however, since we have been going-going-going nonstop, my Mom and I decided it would be best if we took a break from all the craziness this year and just had a nice relaxed Easter at home. Which makes me very excited because it means it’s just my mom & I prepping dinner! I can’t wait to share the spread with you =)

I finished my day off easily, I really loved the bar- but I figured out why. It contains a whopping 18 grams of sugar! No wonder it tasted like a candy bar! Otherwise, the nutritional profile (190 kcals, 4.5 g fat, 10 g protein) was very good. I ate ½ with my apple before class and ½ after, and it did hold me until dinner. I would buy this bar again, but only if I a) know my sugar intake is VERY low that day OR b)as a re-fuel during a race (because with that much glucose, it’s sure to give me some quick energy!)

After class I met up with my dad for a few minutes (for a super secret easter mission…shhh) and then headed back to Nick’s to start prepping dinner.
He had to leave for a meeting, so I spent the time he was gone prepping my Not-so-fried chicken feast. The results? Something you might find along the lines of KFC or Boston Market, but a WHOLE lot healthier, and much tastier in my opinion!
The goods:
½ fried chicken, roasted red/new potatoes, steamed green beans.
I drizzled evoo, s&p and added 1 chopped garlic clove to the quartered potatoes and set them in the oven on 425. They were in there for a total of 45 minutes, turned every 15.

Meanwhile, I prepped my ½ fried chicken:

Healthier than fast food- ½ fried chicken

Ok, so it is ‘fried’ but only for a couple minutes, and with a healthy oil, and then it’s baked, which reduces a lot of fat, but kept the tenders moist and savory!

Ingredients:
1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
2 eggs, beaten
1 package 99% fat free chicken tenders (this would also worked with halved and defrosted quorn cutlets for the veggies out there!)
EVOO

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a metal baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
Beat the two eggs in a bowl, and dump the 1 cup of breadcrumbs in another.
Heat a small amount of olive oil on medium high in a large skillet
One by one, take each tender, dip in breadcrumbs, then egg, then breadcrumbs again before placing on heated skillet.
Cook tender 2 minutes per side, adding a small amount more EVOO if needed
Repeat with all, placing on baking sheet when ‘fried’.
They should just be slightly golden on each side.
When all are ‘fried’, place baking sheet in preheated oven.
Cook 12 minutes, turning once.

Enjoy with some bbq sauce, or ketchup!

I used Chipotle Barbeque sauce-


It was fantastic! Nick liked it a lot, too! Of course, he didn’t get to enjoy his until later- his meeting went late, so I spent some time watching a really good (but sad!) movie- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, and then Nick came home and we lazied around some more (watching NCIS- great show!). I got a little hungry before bed, so I had half of a new fruit- an Asian apple-pear. It looks like an apple, with pear-skin, and the inside has seeds similar to an apple, and the taste was amazing! It was soft and sweet like a pear, but a little bit crunchier, and had a slight apple-y aftertaste. I’ve got to find some more of these!

This morning I was up early- I did some last minute studying (and blogging!) while I ate my breakfast- chobani with trail mix, and a banana (I’m such a creature of habit!).


Lab went well, luckily my lab partner is awesome, and she understood I needed to get to my exam, so we did our tests and got out just early enough for me to make it to my exam ontime.
My exam went ok- definitely not the best exam so far (I got an 84 and a 91; I’m hoping for a B average at least!), but I’m pretty sure I passed. After my exam I came back here to relax a while before having lunch and studying.

For lunch I packed this tuna packet-

I only fit ½ of the packet, along with some nayonnaise (about ½ tbsp) on my whole wheat bun, and had some grapes on the side.


For a snack I packed a maple walnut clif bar, which I ate half of before my exam and I plan on eating the other half in a bit before I go to the gym. I’m excited about dinner tonight- it’s an old favorite I haven’t made in a while, or ever for Nick, so I hope he likes it!

I’ll be back on Friday! (Weekend is almost here! Whoo!)

No comments: