Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Monday, August 31, 2009

Motivation

I was lacking in the motivation department today; but not for Body For Life- for cleaning!

I had put today aside to clean and organize my room and closet; well I think that was a bit ambitious for on day. I am the biggest procrastinator in the world!!

At least I got my butt moving early this a.m. and got to the gym before the procrastination set in!

I drank 2 glasses of water and headed to the Y for my 1st (real) day of upper body strength training on BFL. I say “real” because two days ago I went through all the exercises at the gym with my mom-  and my arms are still sore from it!

Here’s what I did for my UBWO (upper body workout): 

Chest

Dumbell bench press

12 @ 10 #

10 @ 16 #

8 @ 20 #

6 @ 24 #

(1 min rest between each)

12 @ 16 # 

Dumbell flyes- 12 @ 16 # (no rest in between)

Shoulders

Seated dumbell press

12 @ 10 #

10 @ 16 #

8 @ 20 #

6 @ 24 #

(1 min rest between each)

12 @ 16 # 

Side raises- 12 @ 16 # (no rest) 

Back 

One-arm dumbell rows

12 @ 10 #

10 @ 16 #

8 @ 20 #

6 @ 24 #

(1 min rest between each)

12 @ 16 # 

(No middle set- missed it! whoops!)

Triceps 

Dumbell extensions 

12 @ 10 #

10 @ 16 #

8 @ 20 #

6 @ 24 #

(1 min rest between each)

12 @ 16 # 

Bench dips- 12 @ bw (body weight) ---> these were HARD!!

Biceps

Barbell curls 

12 @ 10 #

10 @ 16 #

8 @ 20 #

6 @ 24 #

(1 min rest between each)

12 @ 16 # 

Hammer curls- 12 @ 16# (no rest)

Phew! Great workout! 

Total time: 50 minutes (a few over the intended 45!!)

When I got home I immediately whipped up a quick and filling breakfast- I was starving! 

Not the prettiest I know, but ½ cup oats cooked in 1 cup water, and 1 scoop chocolate protein powder was the perfect combo to hold me the next couple of hours while I began to tackle my cleaning challenge.

Two hours later and I had hardly made a dent... 

Meal #2 was 1 container 0% chobani and a handful of blueberries.

After making some progress, I had meal #3 around 1pm.

Delicious combo! 1 baked mini sweet potato (thought ahead last night!), ½ cup low fat cottage cheese spiked with some Mrs. Dash and sea salt (the cottage cheese is low sodium) and some deliciously fresh cherry tomatoes and baby carrots. I snagged a few more tomatoes after this pic was taken. Theyre just so good!!

Easy to whip up and very filling! I loved this!

I have to admit, I was pretty upset this afternoon. I tried on some of the clothes I bought less than 3 weeks ago for school and they’re VERY tight. So of course I had  a mini-breakdown and decided I was a disgrace to nutrition majors everywhere, yada yada, well a few texts to the boyfriend made me feel a little better and then I went for a 30-minute run to clear my head.

It helped a lot; I realize I’m not in the shape I used to be, but I’m working at it. And I am more motivated than ever to make this BFL challenge work. So I will!

I only had a small afternoon meal because I wasn’t very hungry- just a juicy nectarine to hold me until I made dinner (no protein, I know!)

Dinner (Meal 5) was fab though- I made my favorite Salmon with sea salt, black pepper, cayenne and garlic cooked with a tiny bit of EVOO, a slightly large serving of whole wheat couscous and some boiled asparagus. 

I made extra salmon and I’m glad I did!

I ate dinner by the TV and somehow ended up falling asleep to Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations… I never fall asleep by the TV, and never at 7:00 pm!! I must have been exhausted!

Well, I talked to the boy on the phone for a bit (trying to work out visiting schedules…I don’t have Columbus day off this year? Wtf??) and now I’m sipping Meal #6

And soon I will be off to sleep… but not without reading a couple chapters of Mastering the Art of French Cooking of course =)

Night all! 

3 comments:

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

i think i might be an even BIGGER procrastinator! the workout looks great :) your lunch sounds REALLY yummy. no photo though? sad. it didnt show up for me. hmm. i feel you on the tight clothes! it happens. but remember, it will come off and those clothes will fit. this plan WORKS! mmm the dinner? awesome. good job today! xxo

Oh She Glows said...

Awesome workout hun! You rocked it.

My clothes have been tight lately (summer is full of splurges isnt it?) so I need to get back on track. I might be photographing all of my eats this week!

Danica's Daily said...

You are doing awesome Kristin - fantastic upper body workout! I bet in a one-two weeks you will definitely be fitting into those clothes you bought - no worries at all :) Stay persistent and use that as motivation anytime you are tempted to stray.

Your eats look amazing - I NEED to try cottagee cheese with a sweet potato. I never even thought of doing that. I did buy a bag of baby sweet potatoes at Trader Joe's after I saw yours :D