Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Friday, January 25, 2008

Another nice morning

Woke up, had half a clif bar (I REALLY like these for energy for my morning runs... they work very well! BUT today it made my stomach feel a bit weird... not sure why. I'm going to experiment with a few different pre-workout snacks and see what works best for me and my tummy!)
and trekked down to the gym in 17 degree weather! Ahhh it was soo cold. But worth it; I got a great 40 minute run in, on the indoor track. I was considering hopping on a machine, but the small room was packed and I figured I would get a bit claustrophobic. Not trying to make excuses; I already have tomorrow set for a quick run, some machine and some STRENGTH which I am long overdue for!
Then, on Sunday I'm trying "Hot Yoga" with my Mom. Should be an experiance!

I've gotta say, I'm loving these wednesdays and fridays. I came home from the gym, showered, had a nice big breakfast and now I'm ready to get a bit of work done, and my stuff set for the day before my class at 12! I still have an hour before I have to REALLY get ready... nice!
I DO have a lot of chem to work on, but I'm leaving campus right after lunch for a Starbucks trip to get some studying in before the weekend/work.
No plans yet this weekend, we'll see what happens!

For breakfast, I was craving cereal again...I went with 1 1/2 cups Kashi Go Lean Honey Almond Flax with 1 cup low-fat soy milk and a big banana. Altogether this was about 500 calories, 9 g fat.
Plus the 1/2 clif bar, makes a big 620 kcal breakfast... needed for fuel though, I'll have a more moderate dinner at work tonight, so it should all even out.

2 comments:

ChickPea said...

Did you ever experiment further with pre-workout snacks? That is something that I always struggle with--how big should it be, what I should eat, how long beforehand I should eat it, etc. I am a morning exerciser too, so I like to wait and have breakfast afterward. So far I have tried: natural blackberry applesauce, Stretch Island fruit leathers, and recently I have been having a piece of toast with a little jam. What are your favorites?

Kristin said...

I have experimented-quite a bit!
I've tried fruit leather, and find that leaves me wayyy too hungry at the end and doesn't give me much energy.
If I'm going to do a quick (30 minutes or less) workout (cardio or strength) I'll just have a piece of fruit or a 1/2 pc of toast with jam.

If I'm working out longer, thats when I pull out my "power mix"- I always make sure my pre-workout snack has healthy carbs (whole grains), fast release carbs (fruit or jam) and some sort of protein (usually peanut butter). So my standard snacks are usually 1/2 an english muffin/mini bagel/piece of bread with 1/2-1 tbsp PB and 1 tsp jam, or 1/2 a really high quality bar such as a clif bar (these are soo yummy and give me so much energy!).
I stay away from dairy before exercising, unless I'm eating breakfast before I exercise- which I do occasionally and wait an hour before I start. Otherwise, I have my snack anywhere from 15-45 minutes before I start.
I definately think a preworkout snack NEEDS carbs for quick energy! (Don't listen to the bodybuilders who say always go for the eggwhites/protein shakes... they never keep me going! Your body needs that after exercise for refuel!)