Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Light and filling lunch

So I survived my first Kinesiology class! It only took me about 8 minutes to get there, a lot less time than I had planned... so, like a nerd, I was the first one to class... almost 20 minutes early! hehe
Oh, well- I text messaged my mom and waited for everyone else to arrive.
It seems like it's going to be a really good class. The professor is great, she's really friendly and seems genuinely interested in teaching Kinesiology! The work doesn't look hard at all; it's all basic health concepts. I'm a little nervous about the 3 group presentations we have to do- but I guess as long as I prepare well for them I should be fine. Plus, we only have 3 exams and 4 quizzes the entire course. Not too bad!

After class, I walked to Hope (the dining hall) to grab a late lunch. My favorite part of Hope is their great salad bar... sooo many selections, it's hard to choose! Most of it's healthy too, I just try to steer clear of creamy dressings and mayonaise filled sides (such as the coleslaw they had out today... yuck)
I started with mixed spring greens, and loaded on the veggies: grape tomatoes, cucumbers, cauliflower, mushrooms, carrots... I also topped it with about 1/2 cup kidney beans and between 1.5 and 2 oz of feta cheese (estimated) for some protein. I know this was "real" feta... so I'm glad i only grabbed a little, but I decided to just top my salad with some balsamic vinegar instead of dressing to reduce the fat there; so it should even out.
I also had the BIGGEST BANANA I have ever seen in my life... seriously, it had to be 12 inches long. I'm talking a BIG banana. Nice and ripe, very yummy!
Altogether, I'm guessing the veggies were about 150 kcal, the vinegar 10 kcal, beans 100 kcal, and cheese another 150 kcal. The banana was huge; I'm figuring 130 kcal.
Total lunch calories: ~540 kcal

This was a big lunch for a salad; but filling, hopefully it will hold me the afternoon... I'm having dinner at 5 with Danielle before yoga!


I DID manage a picture of this meal!
Not very clear, because I figured whipping out a camera in the middle of the dining hall would be a bit awkward... so I discretely used my cell phone and got a quick shot.
It hasn't sent to my email yet though, I'll post it as soon as I recieve it! =)

Oh, and I wanted to show you guys this: I normally try to only have soda in small amounts a few times a week or less (only diet)... but I could not resist this when I found it... Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry Chocolate! Sooo yummy,it really did taste like cherry chocolate! Nice for a once-in-a-while sweet treat to keep your mouth/tummy satisfied between meals... thats what I used it for!

No comments: