Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Cucinare con Fifina!

Cooking dinner with Fifina is ALWAYS a fun time!
Last night was molto divertento; I got to make the melanzane parmigiana- which is eggplant parmesan, and helped make home made fusilli. The other group made parsley/cheese baked mashed potatoes, and we had a gigantic feast, complete with grilled eggplant, fresh olives and fried artichokes. I had a snack of some cheese and crackers with iced tea while preparing our meal. But rolling pasta is EXHAUSTING, and I was starving by the time we sat down to eat! I started with a small piece of bread, and had a little of everything- fresh fusilli with marinara sauce, a piece each of eggplant and artichoke, a couple olives and a small piece each of eggplant parm and potatoes.

I was STUFFED, and then I remembered I had carved a watermelon (I was busy this lab!!) so I had a big piece of that.

After dinner, my friends and I decided to have a couple sweet treats to help us study for our exam the next day- my friend Natalie and I ordered a Cannoli, which I had a few bites of, and then we went back to the room and studied with some red wine- I had a few almond m&ms as well. My sweet tooth has been kicking in lately...

This morning I woke up and had some muesli with soymilk, and a nectarine. In class I snacked on some grapes and a few almonds.
The test I had went pretty well today. I studied hard (I swear red wine helps!) and we celebrated by going out to lunch again. I had my favorite salad at Dante's again, and a piece of bread as well. I felt full and healthy- but I have a bit of a confession to make.

The salad I've been eating has some tuna in it. I know I said I would stay vegetarian in Italia, but it has been very hard to resist a lot of the fresh seafood available here in Calabria. I have not decided yet whether I am going to continue being a pescetarian when I return to the states or not, this is a decision I will have to make. But for now, it's all about how the food makes me feel and honestly, eating lots of fresh fruit, vegetables, bread, cheese, olive oil and fish, I have never felt better. It's all about what works for you, and makes you feel the healthiest. So this is what has been working for me.

I just got back from a seminar on the health benefits of extra virgin olive oil (it was great, I was so excited!) and now I'm doing some work before going on a walk and grabbing a gelato with my friends Natalie and Danielle later this afternoon.

This trip has been quite the culinary adventure for sure! I can't believe I only have a week left- I've got so much more to try!! For one of our final projects we have to cook a dish for everyone... I'm so excited there are so many things I want to make!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well for what its worth my Mom is a vegetarian who occasionally eats fish and she limits it. She said if she were in Italy she would eat fish and seafood because what else are you going to eat?

I think it all depends on how you feel and if you feel healthy and good then that is a decision only you can make.