Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Tattoos and good ol' italian home cookin'

Sorry for the late post; yesterday was such a fun day with Tyler, I really had no time to blog!
I had a quick nectarine before I picked him up at the train station, and we spent the morning doing some of our favorite things- shopping and eating!
He's going to be my roommate next year, so we had a lot of fun at a nearby homegoods store looking at some house wares... I just picked up an olive oil cruet for the house, we'll pick up the rest soon! Then I took Tyler to lunch at my favorite asian restaurant around, I'm sure I've mentioned it plenty of times before- Seven Moons. We decided to both order off the sushi menu [this summer, Tyler discovered he loves both espresso and sushi, which he hated when I left school. I told him he's the perfect roommate now ;)], so ordered some appetizers to start- Chuka (seaweed) salad, and shrimp dumplings (I had half of each)


For my main roll, I chose the Las Vegas roll- pretty much a pumped- up California Roll... crab, cucumber, avocado and asparagus. It was very good, I'll definately try this one again! I was also "forced" to eat a HUGE piece of Tyler's gigantic shrimp tempura roll. I'm not a big tempura fan, but the crunch did give the roll a little extra somethin'!


We skipped dessert at lunch and spent the afternoon at the tattoo parlor, where I stayed wiith Tyler while he got his first tattoo! He ended up getting a beautiful celtic cross (he's an irish boy), that i'm jealous of it was so well done!

After getting a tattoo, Tyler was feeling a frappuccino. So we went to Starbucks, and I got my once-in-the-summer mocha frapp (light), before we headed to our last couple of errands. It was quite tasty, but very ice-cream like... definately a once-in-a-while treat.

Back at home, I made one of my favorite Italian entrees- tagliatelle (not home made, but still fresh!) con ceci (chickpeas), and steamed zucchini/squash fresh from the garden. Tyler wasn't sure if he'd like the ceci sauce, so I made him a side of fresh pomodoro... but he ended up preferring the pepe rosso dressing, and I took a couple spoonfuls of the pomodoro instead! (I love it fresh!)


For dessert, my mom brought me home one of my favorite vegan cookies for us to share; ABC Pumpkin Spice. Yum!

During the movie we watched, I snacked on some cherries... and then a couple small handfuls of peanut m&ms. I've been trying to keep away from too many treats because I'm trying to get back on the healthy track, but theres some things I just can't resist... and I know I should! I guess I'm still in the "eat all you want" mindset- it takes some time, but I know what's best for my body! I'm only human, we all have our slipups. Wednesday is my birthday, so calories don't count, as my grandma says, but Thursday I'll be back to my usual fruits/veggies/grains staples!

I'm off to have a nice birthday breakfast with the fam, I'll be posting later on tonight!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

kristen, happy birthday! have an amazing day- don't be too hard on yourself, nothing wrong with m&m's for a night time dessert with friends :)

have a fantastic day!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :0)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

It's nice to have you back posting with pictures on a regular basis : )

And don't be too hard on yourself, getting back into a healthy routine always takes a little bit of time, but it looks like you're doing great so far, and the more you get into it, the better you'll feel and more you will WANT to eat healthily.

Enjoy your special day!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kristin! I hope you have a fantastic time celebrating.

Also, I was wondering what is in the sauce for this dish with the chickpeas? (I would spell, but I would probably butcher it!) All of your italian dishes looked so amazing...I was wondering do you think you could post some of the recipes you picked while over in italy? Or even just some of the basic sauces that they used.

Thanks Kristin! Take care!

Kristin said...

To all,
Thanks for all the wonderful birthday wishes, they came so quick and definately brightened my day! I appreciate all of your support of my blog, I'm glad to be back blogging more frequently as well!

Reggy,
The Pasta con Ceci is quite simple; if they're dried you soak the chickpeas (about 3 cups) overnight in water, and then soak them for 6+ hours in olive oil, garlic (use 2-3 cloves whole with slice in them to let out the flavor), and a bit of salt (about 1 tbsp)- if they're canned use 2 large cans and skip step 1 and then when you're ready to use them, cook the pasta, and heat the chickpeas along side the pasta. When the pasta is ready, drain, rinse, and add the heated chickpeas, add about 1/4 cup more oil and a generous handful of pepe rosso dolce- you might need to search in specialty stores for this, it's sweet red pepper, or you could use regular red pepper for a bit more spice! Mix, and serve! It's delicious, one of my favorites!

I'll be posting more easy Italian recipes soon, I promise!