Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Monday, July 7, 2008

Weekend alla Spiaggia

What a weekend! Friday's dinner was great- the food was fantastic, I had 2 helpings of the porcini mushroom linguini because I loved it so much! I ate about 1/2 of the rest that was served as well, and we had gelato for dessert.


After dinner Friday night, we all went to bed and woke up bright and early on Saturday morning to head to Southern Calabria. I had a quick breakfast before we left, and snacked on a banana larabar and some grapes during the day.


We spent the morning walking through an ancient forest- the trees were incredible, it was a beautiful hike. We stopped for a quick sandwich on the road- we were so hot we ended up getting ice cream for dessert as well.


When we were finally in Crotone at the hotel, we spent the afternoon lounging on the beach, tanning, reading and swimming in the Ionian sea. It was truly magical. I had a few grapes on the beach as well.
Dinner was great, again! The hotel did an awesome job- I had pasta with pomodoro sauce (I ate 3/4), herbed potatoes, a small piece of bread, and I ate the grilled eggplant/zucchini, a bite of tomato and a bite of mozzarella. A lot of carbs, but I was satisfied. They served us gelato again, but I only ate half I was so stuffed.



That night we went out into the town, hung out at a bar with a singer on the beach, and went home late. I had a couple of fruity drinks, but not too much. We slept in the next morning, and went for the buffet breakfast. I had 1/2 a croissant, a kiwi, some yogurt with peach and whole grain cereal.

We left the hotel and headed for our next destination- Le Castella. This was equally as beautiful as Crotone. We explored the mideveil castle, and were so hot, we decided gelato would be the perfect treat. So Carolyn and I ate gelato (peach and white chocolate!) while doing some shopping in town. I had some good finds- some housewares, spices, and pretty scarves.

We ate lunch at a really great restaurant overlooking the castle and the sea. The owner was so sweet- he decorated our sandwiches and took a picture of myself and Danielle and Carolyn! My panino was by far the best I've had yet- grilled eggplant and zucchini, fontina cheese and a spicy sauce.

We spent some more time on the beach at Le Castella, and headed back to San Demetrio. I had some wheat crackers and a pear while reading to hold me until dinner.

Dinner was back at Pub Fusion- lasagna, cheese balls, delicious salad (I had 2 cheese balls and 2 portions of salad) and figs for dessert. Still craving sweets, a few of us grabbed gelato on the way back to the apartment. Two in one day, again!

Today we didn't have much choice as to our food- everything's closed because it's Monday, so I had a small plum when I woke up, and we went out for chocolate croissants for breakfast. This held me for a while, and I snacked on some nuts before lunch.

Lunch was another panino- pomodoro/mozzarella on foccacia. My classic Italian lunch, always satisfying.

Now I'm relaxing on the computer before heading back to the apartment to study for our test tomorrow.

What a weekend!

4 comments:

Alicia said...

Hi Kristin,

Glad that you are enjoying yourself so much this summer. Keep those posts coming as I love Italian food. Yummy:)

Danielle said...

What a thrilling weekend :)

P.S. I'm craving Italian food now!

Anonymous said...

Do you know what kind of noodles those are in the pomodoro dish? I think I've tried them before but only when I went on a trip to the caribbean. I don't think I've ever seen them served in North America. They are neat though so I'd like to try to find them!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and your photos so much. They make me so homesick for Italy and I have never been there! But I am Italian! I am so happy to see how great the veg food is there but the GELATO! Oh I must get some.