Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Monday, July 14, 2008

Weekend Excursion


Just another weekend excursion here in Italia!

Friday night was a good night, we heard from the gelato guy again, we tried a couple of the home made sorbettos and had a great dinner- Risotto porcini, tomatoes with olive oil and ricotta, some potatoes and a couple fried veggies. We had gelato and a small piece of cake for dessert- it was someone's birthday so we had extra treats!

Friday night I spent out at Fusion with my friends, so I was quite tired on Saturday and my appetite was strange. For breakfast I had muesli with almond milk, and my stomach was feeling a bit funny in the morning so I snacked on some pretzels and dates... a weird combination I know, but it made me feel better.

For lunch we stopped and got these funny little things...

They're called "pizzos" and they're special at the stop we were at in Lecche. They're basically tomato bread with onions, olives and peppers. It was good, but quite large- I only had about 1/2 of it.
We spent some time in Lecche, had some gelato and a nectarine in the afternoon, and FINALLY after a long bus ride arrived in Puglia, at the most gorgeous beach I have ever seen in my life!

We spent some time relaxing and enjoying the city, dinner was ok- just pasta with pomodoro, fresh bread, insalata, and they gave me MORE pasta with vegetables, for my secondo piatto- which I just ate a few bites of because I realized there were meatballs in it. Ew. I guess some Italians really don't understand "vegetariana".
The night got better, however- dessert was fresh fruit, and we spent the evening walking around town, did a little shopping, ate some crepes, and went to bed fairly early for a weekend. I was glad though- I needed the rest.

Sunday was an interesting day. Breakfast at the hotel was a simple croissant and yogurt, during the morning we visited another castle and did some shopping in town. My friends and I tried some of these interesting sweet/salty treats famous in the area, I have no idea how to describe the flavor, but they sure were addicting! I had a handful, I almost couldn't stop!


The day went by slowly, we did a lot of driving and didn't stop much. We had a great big lunch, some antipasti, pasta pomodoro, grilled zucchini, mozzarella and italian french fries. I had all the antipasti on my plate, a piece of bread, 1/2 the pasta, 1/2 the eggplant/mozzarella and a few fries. We had two desserts yet again- watermelon and cake. I was full, but luckily not TOO stuffed- we had to drive another 5 whole hours to get home!!


On the way I had an apple and we stopped at a small caffe where I got a frozen latte.

We got home late and didn't want a full dinner, so we just grabbed a piece of pizza, and yes- we had yet ANOTHER treat... a small ice cream bar. We went out to the bar later on and had a couple drinks with some snacks as well.

So I didn't eat the healthiest this weekend, and Sunday was kind of a drag, but just the few hours in Puglia alone made the weekend magical. Now we're back, ready to start classes yet again- I had some yogurt, muesli and a peach as usual. I'm trying to stay healthier this week after such an odd weekend of eating... I'll definately try and post as much as I can but they will defiantely be quick, I have SO much work to do!
This week will be jam packed, I can't believe I only have 10 days left! I'm having an incredible experience, and it has flown by... I don't want it to end!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, time really is FLYING! That beach is beautiful, the water is amazing :) I'm glad the weekend was fun, keep "living it up, Italia style!" have fun!

Anonymous said...

Only 10 days left?! Wow, I bet it is going by way too quickly for you.. Enjoy the rest of your time in georgous Italia :)

Anonymous said...

That first photo - oh, wow. So gorgeous - and the food - you will never want to come back!