Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Sunday, July 27, 2008

When home doesn't feel like home...

So I'm officially back "home" again, and I can definately say it has been a very odd adjustment. Living in Italy for a month was the most incredible, life-changing experiance of my life, and I can not wait to return there.
Not to say I'm not happy to see my family, show them pictures and tell them all about my adventures, but I'm definately Calabria-sick.

The last few days were not the most health conscious, but in my defense they were days of travel and celebration, so give me some slack! ;) I'll be back to my healthy habits in no time!

Wednesday, July 24, 2008 was my last day in San Demetrio Corone.
It was a fantastic one, I woke up in the morning only an hour after going to bed- my friends (Italian and American) had a great night out, but it was quite the late one!
I had a breakfast of some cereal, granola and yogurt with a nectarine.
In the morning, I snacked on some cheese, a pretzel and some watermelon while we were making fresh pasta for our final cooking project! It took three whole hours and it was a wonderful experiance, but quite tiring!

The lunch that came together was amazing! Each group was assigned a different course. We started with bruschetta, then had the pasta con ceci (chickpeas) my group made, potatoes and peppers as well as a cheese/potato casserole, stuffed eggplant, marinated cucumbers, I was SO.STUFFED... and then they brought us out mini cannolis (I had one creme and one cicocollato) AND tiny cups of gelato. Phew. I have never eaten so much at lunch... but it was an incredible time. We said our goodbyes, got our certificates, and got our presents from Professor Laluna- home made olive oil! I'm so excited to use it =)



For dinner, we ate at Fusion for the last time. I had my favorite indulgent dish, tagliatelle con porcini- pasta in a creamy mushroom sauce. Mmm... it was definately worth every last bite!

We spent the night celebrating, drinking wine(and lots of beer!)and saying our last goodbyes to the incredible friends we made our month in Italia. We even celebrated the end of the night with two cakes from Stilla- the patisserie we had grown to love. I had a piece of each!

Waking up the next morning was hard because it was so early, but I grabbed a quick chocolate croissant and a nectarine for the road. Along the way we also grabbed some snacks to hold us until lunch. I grabbed olive oil crackers and peach tea.

For a mini lunch I had a caprese sandwich in the airport, and on the plane I spent the time snacking, I had an apple, some peanuts, plus the lunch they provided... and Danielle and I shared a couple pieces of chocolate!
Not the healthiest food, but it kept me feeling good during the trip.

Later that evening after arriving in the city and dropping off our bags we had some sushi and miso soup for a quick dinner.

The next two days in New York were exciting as always!
We grabbed breakfast at starbucks; a soy latte, some fresh fruit and an oat berry stella for me-


And then we had a treat stop mid-morning... the doughnut plant! These were sooo good-I had a couple bites of Danielle's coconut, and for myself I chose the vanilla bean/blackberry jam filled. These have no preservatives, are trans fat free and fresh made... it was a fun treat in the city!

During the day we walked around, and had a late lunch because of our big morning snack. We just grabbed an assortment of salads from the whole foods prep food bar... this was just what I wanted! Fresh, healthy and easy to grab!

That evening, after doing some MAJOR shopping at all the chef and restaurant supply stores on Bleeker (I got a new spatula, whisk, knives and an apron!) we stopped at my favorite restaurant in NYC for dinner- the drag queen capital of the world, Lucky Chengs! We had such a fun time relaxing, eating yummy food and watching the drag show! We even got dirty balloon animals made for us by John the balloon guy. I'm glad my mom and my sister find it so amusing, they were pretty raunchy! But all in good fun.
We all shared appetizers, and I had scallops for my entree-



And for dessert...

The famous birthday chocolate shoe! We DUG In... and ate more than half! I felt like a pig afterwards, but it's only once a year!

Sunday morning we slept in, had some fruit and 1/2 a muffin for breakfast at Starbucks, and for lunch we went to Blossom Cafe for a delicious vegan meal. To start, we all shared the cashew sauce covered ravioli (we each had one) and Danielle and I split a glass of fresh pomegranate juice. I was craving a big "burger" so I had to try their "bacon cheeseburger". WOW was it good! By far the best vegan burger I've ever tasted! With a spicy sauce, mushrooms, "bacon", and cheese on a soy burger, with a light refreshing salad... I couldn't have asked for a more perfect lunch in the city.


Ok, we just couldn't pass up dessert- so we all shared! We chose the lavendar berry custard pie and oh my oh my was it to die for! Fresh berries, creamy custard... I could have eaten another whole one myself!

During the afternoon we snacked some more- we stopped for smoothies at Booster Juice, I had a small banana one, and we each had a truffle from godiva!

I was SO excited about dinner and it did not disappoint! We stopped at Candle Cafe, which I have heard about from a bunch of bloggers, and was so eager to try! Everyone loved it. We started with the mezze platter, I had a little of everything, and then for my dinner I had the Seitan Timbale- seitan, couscous, avocado,kale, and a black bean sauce. Honestly one of the BEST meals I have ever eaten. Sooo good!


I feel a bit guilty admitting this, but I was SO into the vegan desserts yesterday I had 2 after dinner! I know, bad nutrition major... but sooo good! We started with dessert at candle, the special- chocolate chip bundt cake with chocolate soy ice cream. (Remember all my desserts this day were shared by 4 people!)
And then we stopped at babycakes for cookies... (I ate 1/2).


It was a great trip, and a nice refresher after being in Italy, a fun time with the family for sure.

2 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hopefully you'll get to return to Italy again soon - it truly is an enchanting location :0)

Mmm, bruschetta & pasta con ceci?? Divine!!

That chocolate shoe dessert is TOO FUN!! Love it.

Hooray for Candle Cafe!! Especially the desserts :0)

Anonymous said...

Sounds amazing. Welcome back, girl. It has been so wonderful to watch your experiences throughout the trip. I can't wait to see how you incorporate some of t=your new Italian traditions into your American cuisine. And happy birthday to you!