Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Unexpected

Today was quite the day; it had a lot of unexpected twists and turns that made it a little different than I had planned... but it was still a pretty good day!

I did some studying, but then I decided to make an appointment with my doctor, because I really wasn't feeling the greatest and figured I should get checked out. Good thing I did because I'm on antibiotics now- letting it escalate would NOT have been a smart idea!

For a snack today I had this clif bar: I ate 1/2 after the doctors, before I went to the gym and 1/2 for my afternoon snack.

I also sipped on this cranberry juice- I don't normally like to "drink" my calories, but cranberry juice is good for the kidneys and it should help relieve this pesky female prob I've got going on, so I drank away. [Listen to me telling the whole world my medical issues... guess I have no shame ;-) ]

I went to the gym but didn't have as much time as planned because of my impromptu doctor's visit. I did a 5 minute warm-up and ran 25 minutes and did a 5 minute cooldown, for 35 minutes on the treadmill. Then I did about 10 minutes of lunges and hamstring exercises before hitting the showers.

Luckily I was on time to meet my grandpa. He really wanted chinese food, and although I'm not a big fan I agreed to try the new place on campus and was pleasantly surprised! I ordered shrimp with broccol, which came with a side of rice- so I chose brown rice, and soup- I chose hot & sour.
I ate 1/2 the soup, all the shrimp/broccoli and half the rice.

This filled me up, but there wasn't a whole lot of shrimp so the protein was minimal- I definately needed the other 1/2 of my clif bar in the afternoon!

After my Kinesiology class I was studying in the lobby of the building my writing class is in, when one of the students from my class came up to me and asked me why I was there- when I told him the writing class he laughed and told me it was canceled! Now, I would have been ecstatic- if I had my car. But I didn't- I let my roommate borrow it for the afternoon with the intent he would pick me up when my class was over later that night. Normally you'd just call your ride... but in my case thats a bit of an issue because my roommate has a hearing problem and hardly ever answers his phone! So I was texting and texting and almost a half an hour went by before I resorted to texting Nick... he agreed to come pick me up with one stipulation- I made him dinner! Now I LOVE cooking for more than one so I gladly agreed! He told me he wanted home made baked macaroni and cheese, so we stopped at the store on the way home for some cheese- cheddar and a 4-cheese Italian mix, and went back home to make him his "Thank you" dinner! I've gotta admit, I went a bit overboard at dinner.
I LOVE macaroni and cheese. Especially crispy, creamy home made mac n cheese. So I had a helping. With some green beans. And another 1/2 a helping. And then I started picking at leftover crust, and thats when I realized I had eaten a bit too much... So I'm pretty much through with food for the night!


To make the mac n cheese I used a few tbsp of margarine, s&p, 3/4 cup 1% milk, 3/4 package each of cheddar and italian mix for the sauce, and whole wheat rotini for the macaroni (because spirals are so much better than elbows!). I cooked the pasta and simmered the sauce, mixed them together and then threw it in a pan that I covered with parmesan bread crumbs and baked for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. We had some steamed green beans on the side for some veggies, because the nutritionist needs her phytochemicals!
Overall it was really good- a bit crispy because the pan was so big (Nick's only complaint), but definately satisfied both of our cravings for a comforting home-cooked meal!

I got a lot done today, so I only have a bit more work to do before I call it a night!

4 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hope you're able to fully relax tonight after a full day!!

Anonymous said...

awww i hope the cranberry juice helps - hope u feel better!

Anonymous said...

I'm a baked mac and cheese girl and your's sounds great!

Get better soon :D

jess said...

Feel free to call me next time if you'll cook me dinner!!! Although it will take me considerably longer to get there since i'm in cali! Haha.

Really hoping you feel better soon; those are the worst!