Kristin

My photo
Rhode Island, United States

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Missed my love

Today I came to the realization that I really have found my one true love...

Running.
(sorry, Nick)

This afternoon I was considering going to the gym, but I was so full after a huge lunch I decided to put it off until later. I was waiting for the bus and thinking how happy I was it was warm out and it dawned on me... I could go for a run!!!
It finally reached 50 here in lil' Rhody today, and I couldn't be happier it did!

After digesting and doing some work I strapped on my HRM and set out for a brisk, 30 minute run, I'm estimating was ~3.5-4 miles. It felt great!

I missed running so very much. For a while there, I got sick of it, because I was pushing myself too hard and forcing myself to run faster, harder... when I really enjoy long, leisurely runs. I've come to the point where I know that I don't need to run intensely every single day to stay fit. There's other ways of staying fit, while still running for a good reason- because I love it!!

So that was my exercise for today. Some hardcore shoe poundin', heart beat raisin', sweat inducin' running. Mmm, mmm felt amazing. I missed you running!!

Anyway, I'm sure you're curious what I ate today!
This morning I made myself a yogurt bowl using some Stonyfield's Low Fat Vanilla yogurt I grabbed on sale at the grocery store the other day (I was at a different store and greek was too expensive!) It was good, but I definitely prefer greek! On top I had a sliced banana, 1/4 cup pumpkin granola and 1/8 cup slivered almonds.

I'm glad I had such a filling breakfast to fuel me through Kin class today- I did my cycle ergometer sub-max fitness test today! We used the YMCA protocol to do a 12-minute test that measured VO2 max (maximal oxygen uptake- a measurement of fitness level) with heart rate and blood pressure. The test went well, and when I calculated it out my estimated VO2 max is 48.8 (rounded it to 49!) which puts me on the high end of excellent, borderline superior, cardiorespiratory fitness! Whoo! Must be all that running ;)

So that was fun to do. Afterwards I dug into the first of my packed snacks- a cheese stick which I ate in the morning and an apple which I ate mid afternoon.


I met my Grandpa for lunch at the International Pocket Cafe and unfortunately I left my camera at home!! But, I can assure you I got the usual and it was just as fantastic as always! A big stuffed pita with baked falafel, lettuce, tomato, pickles, cucumber, onions, hot sauce, hummus, yogurt sauce, tahini and feta cheese. Whew, I finished the whole thing, and a baklava bite they gave use as a little dessert! Yum! Kept me full all afternoon!

After a nice lunch with my Grandpa I headed home for some studying, my run, and then some more studying! In between I prepped an early dinner- one of Nick and I's ultimate favorites, Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken with roasted baby red potatoes (roasted at 400 degrees for 40 minutes with evoo, s&p- flipped once) and steamed green beans! I actually wouldn't tell Nick what I was making for dinner- I wanted to surprise him because I know he loves it so much, but he guessed what I was making!!

We both enjoyed this very much!
Now, he's at his soccer game, I finished up the dishes and I'm going to do some school/pleasure reading (I LOVE that reading Pat Conroy is a requirement!!) to rest for the rest of the night.

I forgot to mention my late night snacks last night- I had a sliced nectarine and a small piece of organic dark chocolate.

Gotta have my sweets!!

Are you all excited tomorrow is FRIDAY?!?! I can't believe it's here already!!

EDITED TO ADD:
Tonight's dessert was 1/2 a juicy pink grapefruit and a small square of Italian hazelnut dark chocolate =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Running is awesome! I hope you get back into it again!